January 2, 2022
Pursuant with the Alpha Psi Chapter of the Theta Chi Fraternity Housing Corporation Bylaws, last ratified in 2018, the Board of Directors (BOD) of the Housing Corporation is requesting a vote to modify these bylaws. Per ARTICLE XI AMENDMENTS, “These Bylaws may be altered or amended and additional Bylaws adopted by a majority vote of the members in the notice of which meeting the proposed amendment or new Bylaws shall be set forth verbatim…”.
The BOD is recommending that the current ARTICLE III MEMBERSHIP section be updated in its entirety to reflect a revised definition for the following areas:
- Who qualifies as a Voting Member of the Corporation?
- Currently the bylaws define a voting member as someone donating $300 lifetime to OX and/or $100 in the current fiscal year. To promote transparency and inclusion, the BOD would like to remove this requirement and have all members of the Corporation (i.e., all alumni initiates of the Chapter) have a vote with matters of the Corporation.
- How Voting Member voting works for the Corporation.
- To include new provisions for electronic voting, system of record for Voting Members and duration of votes.
Note: The BOD does intend to modify other elements of the Housing Corporation bylaws in the near future but felt it was prudent to update the definition of a Voting Member, how voting works and quorum definition first before contemplating those changes. We plan to contemplate these additional bylaw changes soon after this vote concludes.
As a Voting Member of the Corporation, the BOD is requesting you to contemplate this vote. The following process will be used to proceed to vote on this bylaw modification:
- Week of January 3, 2022: Formal communication to Voting Members of intention to revise HC bylaws changing the voting qualification (this note)
- Monday, January 17, 2022, 7PM: Hold Special Meeting via Zoom with Voting Members to answer questions
- January 18 – January 28, 2022: Notification of voting period and call for collection of votes
- Monday, January 31, 2022, 7PM:: Hold Special Meeting via Zoom to review votes and to certify vote
Below for your reference is the current bylaws, showing the current ARTICLE III MEMBERSHIP and an updated version of ARTICLE III MEMBERSHIP AND VOTING (in yellow text) that is being proposed.
To aid in the voting process, Voting Members may submit any questions to the BOD via this Google form. Questions can be posed by Voting Members any time until the Special Meeting scheduled on January 17, 2022.